For more information, feel free to contact us.
Tel no. (66-2) 524-5019
Fax no. (66-2) 524-5056
RANK: Associate Professor
LOCATION: Agribusiness Management (ABM) Area of Specialization (AoS) of the Food, Agriculture and Bio Systems (FABS) Cluster at the School of Environment, Resources and Development; Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand.
a) The Institute:The Asian Institute of Technology, founded in 1959, is an autonomous, international, post-graduate educational institution. The Institute offers degree and non-degree programs in three schools. The AIT is an autonomous, non-profit, international post-graduate institution, which promotes technological change and sustainable development in the Asian-Pacific region through higher education, research and outreach. Established in Bangkok in 1959, AIT has become a leading regional postgraduate institution and is actively working with public and private sector partners throughout the region and with some of the top universities in the world. It offers Masters and Doctoral degrees, diploma and certificate programs in engineering, science, planning and management, and serves over 2,500 students from many countries across Asia and beyond.Teaching faculty, researchers and students from more than 30 countries form a unique international community on the Institutes residential campus, situated 42 km north of Bangkok.
b) The ABM: Under FABS cluster, the ABM specialization builds on long standing strengths and experience in research, and postgraduate teaching in the fields of agricultural production-processing-preservation, agro- and food-industry management and marketing, and in agricultural development. The program focuses on the potential for and contribution of the agribusiness industry in developing economies. It is aimed at enhancing small and medium business entrepreneurship among primary producers of agri-food products, and traders and other market intermediaries in the value chain.
Applications are invited for a direct-hire full time faculty position at an Associate Professor level in the Agricultural Systems and Engineering (ASE-ABM) Fields of Study at the Food, Agriculture and Bio Systems Cluster, School of Environment, Resources and Development of the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Bangkok, Thailand. The incumbent should be able to provide direct supervision to Doctoral/Masters students, as well as be able to actively involved in research activities in the following areas:
a) Agricultural sector and policy analysis with emphasis on trade
b) Agricultural supply chain management
c) Agricultural marketing, price and value chain analysis
d) Agricultural production economics with specialization in farm management
e) Economics of key agricultural activities, including participatory irrigation management
The successful candidate must have the following general qualifications.
- Holds a PhD or Doctoral degree from a reputable university with specialization with meritorious academic record in (or closely related fields) agribusiness, agricultural economics, natural resource or environmental economics, or socio-economics. An MBA with agribusiness specialization with teaching, research and postgraduate students supervision experience in similar fields are desirable.
- A candidate should have demonstrated his/her active involvement in professional activities. Ability to publish in international refereed journals, excellent communication skills and experience in obtaining research grants in international competition are highly desirable. An applicant must have at least five research publications in reputed international peer-reviewed journals.
- Possesses demonstrated relevant experience and competence in teaching and student supervision at graduate level with excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Has a strong commitment to teaching and research, with an aptitude to establish and maintain dynamic research programs in major areas/issues of agribusiness and agricultural economics.
- Previous exposure to the problems and prospects in the Asian Region and a well-established linkage with donors and research partners will be an added advantage.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate is expected to:
1. Independently teach a minimum of 3 to 4 postgraduate courses in a year,:
a) Agricultural Sector and Policy Analysis
b) Trade Policies in Agribusiness Management
c) Farm Management Economics
d) Agri-Food Supply Chain Management
e) Agro-Industrial Systems Development
2. Develop new relevant course(s) as necessary
3. Supervise Masters and Doctoral students in afore-mentioned knowledge areas
4. Conduct sponsored and individual research
5. Carry out consultancy and outreach activities
6. Assist in the conduct of training/workshop and other human resource development activities supported by AIT or international or national agencies, and
7. Perform professional and academic duties assigned by the School/Institute.
The appointment may be at the rank of an Associate Professor.The initial appointment for Associate Professor is normally for four years and is renewable based on performance.The salary offered to successful candidates is regionally competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience.Additional benefits include provident fund, air travel for self and direct dependents, settlement grant, education subsidy for dependent children, and medical benefit according as provisioned in Institutes policy and procedure.It is also possible to earn an additional income by carrying out sponsored research projects and consulting services.
The application deadline is 31 March 2015 . Review of applications will begin immediately after the deadline and will continue until the position is filled. The selected candidate is expected to join the institute in July 2015.Please send in a letter of application, including detailed curriculum vitae, summary professional sketch on the template provided, copies of five selected publications, a one-page professional statement describing goals and aspirations, and names and addresses of three referees to the following address:
School of Environment, Resources and Development
Asian Institute of Technology
P.O. Box 4, Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120, Thailand