For more information, feel free to contact us.
Tel no. (66-2) 524-6074
Fax no. (66-2) 524-6071
Faculty Position in Environmental Engineering and Management (EEM)
Faculty position in Environmental Engineering and Management at Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Change, School of Environment, Resources and Development, Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Thailand
AIT is an autonomous, non-profit, international post-graduate institution primarily offering Master’s and Doctorate degrees in engineering, science, planning and management. Over 1,700 students in AIT come from several countries across Asia and beyond. Teaching faculty, researchers and students come from more than 47 countries and form a unique international community on the Institute’s 160 hectares beautifully landscaped campus situated 42 km north of Bangkok.
The Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Change invites applications for a faculty position in the Environmental Engineering and Management. The candidate should have significant teaching, research and/or practical experiences. The successful candidates are expected to develop and teach postgraduate courses, supervise Master’s and Doctoral students, conduct independent research, and carry out consultancy and outreach activities.
The Environmental Engineering and Management Program includes two areas of specialization, (a) Environmental Technology and Management, and (b) Water and Wastewater Engineering. It offers M.Sc. and Ph.D degrees and conducts teaching, research, and outreach on environmental engineering topics (http://www.serd.ait.ac.th/).
Environmental Engineering and Management Program was started in AIT in 1964. It embodies a long history of 50 years in the region in conducting teaching and the pioneering research to respond timely to the present needs of the region and visioning for the future development. Environmental Technology and Management is one of the focal areas in the program with over 200 master and 150 PhD graduates during the past 15 years who specialized in the environmental technology and management.
We look for a young and dynamic colleague to join the Department and contribute to further development of this focal area. In particular, the potential candidate is expected to have the following qualities.
Education and experience
- The candidate should hold a PhD from reputed university with the research in environmental technology and/or engineering, civil/chemical engineering, water and wastewater engineering, or a closely related field.
- At least 2-3 years of research/teaching experience in environmental engineering, water and wastewater engineering.
- Good track record of research as evidenced by publications in reputed international journals in the research area.
- The candidate should preferably have the expertise related to drinking water treatment, membrane technology in water and wastewater treatment, principles of cleaner production, and industrial waste abatement and circular economy related issues. Other areas of interest are chemical and bio-process engineering, waste to value and resource recovery in emerging technologies not limited to but including: algae processes, carbon capture, electro-microbiology, electro synthesis, etc.
- Potential or proven ability to develop an internationally recognized research program.
- Excellent communication skills with good command over English.
- Strong commitment to teaching at the post-graduate level.
- Interest in innovative teaching methods and curriculum development.
- Capable to secure external funding for sponsored research projects.
- Capable to undertake consulting assignments in the region.
- Work with donor agencies and industrial partners and generate collaborative research funding to lead a successful research program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Independently teach a minimum of 3-4 postgraduate courses per year in the broader areas of “Drinking Water Treatment”, “Membrane Technology in Water and Wastewater Treatment”, “Principles of Cleaner Production” and “Industrial Waste Abatement and Management”,
- Student research supervision at Master and PhD levels
- Carry out sponsored research projects and assignments
Preference will be given to candidates who will combine excellence in teaching with a demonstrated capacity to conduct novel, interdisciplinary research that will expand and complement the current departmental research strengths. The Department is multidisciplinary in nature; therefore, we seek for a candidate who can bring engineering and management perspectives together.
The appointment may be at the rank of an Assistant or Associate Professor, depending on qualifications and experience. The initial appointment is normally for two years and is renewable based on performance. The salary offered to the successful candidate is regionally competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experiences. Additional benefits include provident fund, air travel for self and direct dependents, settlement grant, education subsidy for dependent children and medical benefit according as provisioned in Institute’s policy and procedure. It is also possible to earn an additional income by carrying out consultancy services as provisioned in Institute’s policy and procedure. For more details, please refer to the AIT homepage, http://www.ait.ac.th
The application deadline is 30 November 2022. Review of applications will begin immediately after the deadline and will continue until the position is filled. The selected candidate is expected to join the institute as early as possible.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, or any other characteristics protected by law.
Please send in a letter of application including (1) curriculum vitae, (2) copies of at least five selected publications, and (3) one-page professional statement describing goals and aspirations and (4) names and addresses of three referees to the following address: