For more information, feel free to contact us.
Tel no. (66-2) 524-6074
Fax no. (66-2) 524-6071
Faculty Position in Aquaculture and Aquatic Resources Management (AARM)
Department of Food, Agriculture and Bioresources (FAB)
School of Environment, Resources and Development
Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand
Rank: Assistant/Associate Professor, depending on qualification and experience.
Applications are invited from dynamic individuals for a direct-hire full-time faculty position at an Assistant/Associate Professor level in the Aquaculture and Aquatic Resources Management (AARM) Academic Program, Department of Food, Agriculture and Bioresources, School of Environment, Resources and Development; Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand.
- The Institute: The Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), founded in 1959, is an autonomous, non-profit, international, postgraduate educational institution, offering degree and non-degree programs in three Schools. AIT promotes technological change and sustainable development in the Asia-Pacific region through higher education, research, and outreach. AIT has become a leading regional postgraduate institution and is actively working with public and private sector partners throughout the region and with some of the top universities in the world. It offers Master and Doctoral degrees, diploma, and certificate programs in engineering, science, planning and management, serving over 2,000 students from various countries across Asia and beyond. Teaching faculty, researchers, and students from more than 45 countries form a unique international community on the Institute’s beautifully- landscaped residential campus, situated 42 km north of Bangkok.
- The AARM: Aquaculture and Aquatic Resources Management (AARM) Academic Program, which was established in 1981, is one of the Programs of the Department of Food, Agriculture and Bioresources (FAB), School of Environment, Resources and Development (SERD). AARM is currently striving to promote sustainable aquaculture systems in line with the goals set by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (UN-FAO) towards sustainable intensification of aquaculture as a feasible means to produce adequate food for humankind. Such a strategy aims to generate new knowledge to develop more productive, resource-efficient, and environment-friendly aquaculture technologies. It prepares professionals to develop, adopt, and disseminate knowledge and technologies that focus on managing aquaculture and aquatic resources. AARM also tests and transfers such innovative technologies through various capacity building programs for individuals and institutions worldwide.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Independently teach a minimum of 3 to 4 postgraduate courses per year in the broader areas of Aquaculture and Aquatic Resources Management, focusing on the knowledge-areas of aquatic animal health management, disease diagnostics, prevention and control.
- Develop new relevant course(s) and research programs as necessary.
- Supervise Master and Doctoral student’s thesis/dissertation research.
- Conduct sponsored and individual research.
- Plan and execute consultancy and outreach activities.
- Take the lead and/or assist in conducting trainings/ workshops and other human resource development activities at the Program/ Department/ School supported by AIT or international or national agencies.
- Perform any other professional and academic duties assigned by the School/Institute.
Applicants should hold a Ph.D. degree or equivalent in Aquaculture, Aquatic Sciences, or relevant disciplines from a reputable university. Applicants having a background in aquatic health management, diagnostics and prevention of aquatic animal diseases and/or having experience in the commercial aquaculture industry are particularly encouraged to apply. Core expertise, but multidisciplinary outlook that also allows to collaborate and contribute to the other programs of the Department of Food, Agriculture and Bioresources is expected. Ability to publish in international refereed journals, excellent oral and written communication skills in English, and experience in obtaining research grants in international competition are highly desirable. Demonstrated relevant competence in teaching and student supervision is desirable. Proven skills in designing or developing ICT-enabled education programs for distance learning, and an aptitude in digital teaching/learning methods and techniques are added advantages. We are particularly keen on opportunities brought about by this era of digitalization, and thus demonstrated experience would be an advantage.
The appointment may be at the rank of an Assistant or Associate Professor, depending on qualifications and experience. The initial appointment is normally for two years and is renewable based on performance. The salary offered to the successful candidate is regionally competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Additional benefits include provident fund, air travel for self and direct dependents, settlement grant, education subsidy for dependent children, and medical benefit according to the provisions in the Institute’s policy and procedure. It is also possible to earn an additional income by carrying out consultancy services as provisioned in the Institute’s policy and procedure.
The application deadline is 15 December 2020. Review of applications will begin immediately after the deadline and will continue until the position is filled. The selected candidate is expected to join the Institute in July 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, or any other characteristics protected by law.
Please send in a letter of application including (1) curriculum vitae, (2) copies of at least five selected publications, (3) one-page professional statement describing goals and aspirations and (4) names and addresses of three referees to the following address:
School of Environment, Resources and Development
Asian Institute of Technology
P.O. Box 4, Klong Luang, Pathum Thani 12120, Thailand