For more information, feel free to contact us.
Tel no. (66-2) 524-5019
Fax no. (66-2) 524-5056
|Position Title:||Head, Strategy and Coordination Cluster|
|Unit:||Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific|
|Programme:||Strategy and Coordination Cluster Projects|
|Location:||Asian Institute of Technology, Pathumthani, Thailand|
|Start Date:||1 October 2017|
|End Date:||Two-year contract, with possibility of extension*|
|*Subject to availability of funds|
I. Background/Organization Setting:
The Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific (RRC.AP) is an institute-wide, multi-disciplinary Centre of the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) with a goal to provide resources for policy setting towards sustainable development, acting as a science-policy interface by regional networking, processing and assessing information and knowledge for governments, local communities and other stakeholders in the Asia-Pacific region.
RRC.AP has more than 25 years of experience working with various bilateral and multilateral aid agencies in dealing with regional environmental issues, and is also serving as secretariat for a number of intergovernmental networks/initiatives in the region, supporting policy and strategy development as well as facilitating international and intergovernmental symposiums and workshops. RRC.AP now has a wide spectrum of projects on scientific assessments, policy studies, pilot demonstrations, knowledge management, and various capacity building (training, education, and networking) activities and implementing these projects through 3 thematic clusters on Air, Waste, and Climate Change. The AIT campus is located in Pathumthani province, 42 km north of central Bangkok.
RRC.AP Strategy and Coordination Cluster is responsible for 1) overall financial, human resource, knowledge, and IT management, 2) formulation and implementation of RRC.AP strategy/policy, 3) providing strategic support to the thematic area clusters for the project implementation on administration, IT, and communication, 4) lead implementation of cross-cutting/overarching projects such as organization of symposiums.
II. Major Functions:
The Head of the RRC.AP Strategy and Coordination Cluster will lead the cluster and oversee the implementation of its activities, including management and development of the staff. The successful candidate will facilitate the proper functioning of RRC.AP and overall coordination among all the clusters at RRC.AP. In addition, the incumbent will assist the Director in the work towards the definition of RRC.AP’s broader portfolio and strategic partnerships, resource mobilization and resource management. The successful candidate will report directly to the Director of RRC.AP.
III. Duties and Responsibilities:
The Head of the Strategy and Coordination Cluster will oversee and facilitate the overall operation of the cluster, as well as inspire the cluster to a new phase of growth of RRC.AP through the drive, vision, experience and leadership skills.
1. Leading the Strategy and Coordination Cluster [40% of time]:
- Oversee the activities of the Cluster, ensuring professional and timely implementation, providing advice to enhance the quality of work and deliverables.
- Supervise staff to ensuring appropriate work distribution and allocation of human resources for the successful implementation of the tasks of the Cluster. Provide advice and guidance for the continuous development of staff; support staff’s outputs complementing their expertise.
- Ensure proper financial and IT management of RRC.AP, including policy development and its implementation where necessary, through close consulting with AIT finance and supervising the staff of the cluster as well as owning some responsibilities of financial management by himself/herself.
- Develop and implement overall human resource management policy of RRC.AP.
- Develop and implement a marketing, public relations policy, including branding strategy and quality control of the RRC.AP deliverables and promotional materials.
2. Overall RRC.AP Strategy development and its implementation [30% of time]
- In close consultation with the Director and the Deputy Director, lead the strategy development of RRC.AP to define its unique and essential roles in the region for its sustainable development in line with its functions as an institute-wide centre of AIT, which also lead to stabilization of its financial basis and to enhancement of RRC.AP’s portfolio and strategic partnerships with governments, key organizations and experts in the region.
- Communicate and implement the RRC.AP’s strategy internally and externally.
- Lead resource management and resource mobilization activities, including project identification and preparation of project proposals, network management and production of marketing products, and representing RRC.AP at meetings, regional consultations, workshops and seminars.
- In close consultation with the Director and the Deputy Director, support the preparations of MoUs and other agreements with international organizations and other partner institutions.
- In close consultation with the Director, ensure regular planning meetings and discussions with other clusters’ Heads for strategy development, project proposal development, joint planning, information sharing and reporting.
- Assist the Director and the Deputy Director in the coordination and consultation with other units and schools of AIT for the development of joint initiatives and project proposals.
3. Project Management and support [30% of time]
- Lead the implementation of cross-cutting/overarching projects of RRC.AP through constituting and managing a team with members from other clusters, as appropriate, including consultations with relevant stakeholders and donors, as needed, to ensure the quality deliverables.
- Provide strategic support to the thematic area clusters for the project implementation on administration, IT, and communication through designating proper responsibilities among the staff of the Cluster to assist other clusters and guiding their works in order to ensure best performance of RRC.AP as a whole.
- Initiate the development of project proposals and other forms of resource mobilization on cross-cutting/overarching environmental issues.
4. Other duties
- As assigned by the Director, subject to review and agreement on time allocated to Tasks 1-3.
IV. Required Competencies:
- Professionalism: Knowledge of public/business administration and its related fields, with particular experience on financial management, networking and strategy/ development. Understanding on the issues of sustainable development, including air/water pollution, waste and climate change and approaches to these issues.
- Ability to identify creative, practical approaches to develop organizational strategies and overcome challenging situations in financial and human resource management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Communications: Fluency in spoken and written English; demonstrated skills in having two-way communications; openness in sharing information and keeping people informed; ability to tailor language, tone, style and format to match the audience.
- Planning & Organizing: Ability to formulate clear goals, prioritize activities and assignments; to allocate the appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work, foreseeing risks and allowing for contingencies when planning; and to monitor and adjust plans and actions as necessary.
V. Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Postgraduate degree in public/business administration or relevant fields. Doctorate or higher levels of education in related fields would be an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge on financial management
- Demonstrated knowledge on sustainable development, in particular on air/water pollution, waste and climate change
- A minimum of 15 years of progressively responsible experience in managing teams and strategy development and its implementation. Experiences on project management and implementation, preferably in development programmes and policy-making in the fields related to sustainable development would be an asset.
- Demonstrated ability in fundraising and resource mobilization with international donors.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
To apply, please register online and complete the registration form. You may be required to create your own user name and password, once completed, go back to the advertisement page and click "Apply Now" button.
Applications should include 1) a cover letter highlighting relevant competencies, qualifications and experience and 2) a curriculum vitae (a maximum of six pages, please). Save them all as a single file and upload to the system.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited for interviews.