For more information, feel free to contact us.
Tel no. (66-2) 524-6074
Fax no. (66-2) 524-6071
Required Specialization:Forestry, Ecology and Biodiversity
The Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), an autonomous, non-profit, international post-graduate institution, promotes technological change and sustainable development in the Asian-Pacific region through higher education, research and outreach. Established in 1959, AIT has become a leading regional postgraduate institution and is actively working with public and private sector partners throughout the region and with some of the top universities in the world. It offers Master’s and Doctoral degrees, diploma and certificate programs in engineering, science, planning and management, and serves over 2,300 students from more than fifty countries/territories across Asia and beyond. Teaching faculty, researchers and students from more than 30 countries form a unique international community on the Institute’s residential campus, situated 42 km north of Bangkok.
Natural Resources Management (NRM), a Field of Study (FoS) started since 1988 in the School of Environment, Resources and Development (SERD), seeks to develop professionals who can contribute to the conservation and sustainable management of terrestrial and coastal resources and ecosystems through teaching, research and outreach activities. Applications are invited for a direct-hire faculty position at an Assistant/Associate Professor level in the Natural Resources Management Field of Studyat the School of Environment, Resources and Development of the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Bangkok, Thailand specializing in one or more of the following areas:
- Forestry and forest management
- Ecology and biodiversity
- Eco-political aspects of natural resources management
The successful candidate musthave the following general qualifications.
- Hold a PhD or Doctoral degree from a reputable university with the specialization in forestry, ecology and biodiversity.
- Possess demonstrated relevant experience and competence in teaching and student supervision at graduate levelwith excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Preferably have a strong commitment to teaching and research, with the aptitude to establish and maintain a dynamic research program in major natural resource management areas/issues.
- Previous exposure to the problems and prospects in the Asian Region and a well-established linkage with donors and research partners will be an added advantage.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate is expected to
- Teach a minimum of 3 to 4 postgraduate courses in a year, such as i) Ecological principles for natural resources management, ii) Forestry, and iii) Biodiversity and Conservation.
- Develop new relevant course(s) as necessary
- Supervise Master’s and Doctoral students
- Conduct sponsored and individual research
- Carry out consultancy and outreach activities
- Assist in the conduct of training/workshop and other human resource development activities supported by AIT or international or national agencies, and
- Perform academic duties assigned by the School/Institute.
The appointment may be at the rank of an Assistant or Associate Professor, depending on qualifications and experience. The initial appointment is normally for two years and is renewable based on performance. The salary offered to successful candidates is regionally competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Additional benefits include provident fund, air travel for self and direct dependents, settlement grant, education subsidy for dependent children, and medical benefit as provisioned in Institute’s policy and procedure. It is also possible to earn an additional income by carrying out sponsored research projects and consulting services.
Please include the followings in your application package.
- A cover letter
- Detailed curriculum vitae,
- Copies of three selected publications
- One-page professional statement describing goals and aspirations
- Names and addresses of three referees
Application package should be sent to the following address:
School of Environment, Resources and Development
Asian Institute of Technology
P.O. Box 4, Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120, Thailand
Review of applications will begin immediately after the deadline and will continue until the position is recruited. The selected candidate is expected to join the institute not later than July 2015.